StatisticBrain.com has a bit of a depressing statistic: Although 45% of Americans usually make New Year’s resolutions, only 8% are successful in achieving them. If so many of us aim and fail, what’s the trick for the 8%? We’ve got some tips to increase your chances of success.
1. Shout it from the rooftops.
It can be intimidating to tell your friends and family that you want to quit smoking or lose 30 pounds, but putting it out there holds you accountable and also increases your chances of success by enlisting support from others.
2. Write your goals down. Goals need to be achievable, and measurable. That means you need to write down more than just “lose weight.” How much do you want to lose? Or what dress size do you want to be? Or how many push-ups do you want to be able to do? Perhaps you want to be able to run a marathon for your next birthday. Whatever it is, specify it so you’ll know when you’ve reached it!
3. Schedule work toward your goals. Don’t say you want to spend more time with your family but then claim you’re too busy. Make time for them by scheduling activities in advance! The same goes for finishing that bathroom project, going to the gym or finally writing that novel.
4. Take baby steps. Break down big goals into smaller ones, then break down those goals into bite-size bits. Want to be able to run a 5K next summer? Start by aiming to be able to walk it, or run one mile without stopping.
5. Slip up, get up. You’re going to mess up; everyone does. You’ll have a stressful day and eat three pieces of cake, or skip the gym for a week because you’re tired or go back to smoking when you had gone a month without a cigarette. Don’t beat yourself up! Just get back on track and start from scratch. The more times you start trying, the more likely you are to meet your goals, so just think of “rebooting” as a do-over that gets you that much closer to what you really want.
Whether you’re looking to buy or sell in Evergreen, we hope you’ll allow RE/MAX Alliance of Evergreen to be your Realtor! We know the area better than anyone and work closely with Home Mortgage Alliance to get you the best mortgage rates. Call us today 303-674-9770 or visit us online at http://evergreen.homesincolorado.com/.